On December 18 2020 we removed a swarm from a compost bin on our friends’ property. We’d had to make a second attempt after a botched attempt the previous day.
The mistake we’d made on the first day was that we didn’t remove our nucleus hive (the nuc) from the swarm’s original location: while we were inside having lunch, the queen must have decided to go back to the compost bin, so when we came out to fetch the nuc we discovered the swarm had returned to its first home!
This time we made sure that we closed the entrance to the nuc when almost the whole swarm had transferred to it, before the queen could change her mind.
Unfortunately there was nothing we could do about the remaining 100 or so bees who buzzed and clustered around another compost bin on the property, vainly looking for their swarm. As they were a risk to our allergic friend and her dog, we sadly had to exterminate them. They would have died within a week or two, having nowhere to go.